I know, I have a thing for sweet potatoes. You are probably getting tired of them, but they are a great. But this time I added sausage and apple at least. =) This is another quick and simple in the crockpot, which I love.
Apples are a great fall and winter food. They store really well, so they are freshish all winter long. They are a fat free food, with no sodium or cholesterol. They are high in vitamin C, which as we all know, is very helpful during cold season. A recent study (I heard it on NPR a few weeks ago) showed that what we like about chips crispyness is the sound, not so much the feeling of the crisp. So a nice crispy apple (like a honeycrisp or a granny smith) will give you the same cruchy satisfaction as chips.
Sausage, Apple and Sweet Potato Bake
- 1 package sausage. For less fatty, pick turkey sausage. I prefer the real thing, I used Boulder Sausage brautwurst.
- 3 apples, at least 1 being granny smith. The others should be crispy tasty ones like honeycrisp.
- 1 large or 2 medium sweet potatoes or yams.
- 1/2 c water
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Peel and core the apples. Cut into chunks.
- Peel the sweet potatoes. Cut into thinner slices. It takes sweet potatoes much longer than apples to cook, so you want them to be thinner.
- Brown the sausage. Slice into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Layer the sausage, potatoes, and apples in the crock pot.
- Put the water in a measuring cup. Gradually whisk in the flour so that it is incorporated and not lumpy. Then mix in the sugar, salt, and cinnamon. Pour over the rest.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hrs, or high for 3-4.
- If you want, you can serve it over rice or couscous, it is deliciously saucy.